Skip Navigation
ANU Home | Students
The Australian National University

Printer Friendly Version


University House has been part of the Australian National University community since February 1954 and provides
accommodation for full-time PhD students of the ANU

Applications can be made by contacting University House directly


University House has a reputation for providing a quiet and undisturbed environment in which PhD students can work and live. The central, quiet location is ideal for research students looking for a mature, friendly and supportive atmosphere.



University House provides single, and limited (4) double, accommodation for full-time PhD students of the ANU. Each room has a desk, office chair, telephone, small fridge, kettle and bed. All bedding is provided and includes a pillow, a mattress and all linen (sheets, pillow case and blankets).


The tariff for 2012 is $159.95 per week for a single room and $197.47 per week for a double room.


University House offers self-catered accommodation and provides two communal kitchen facilities for resident use only. No meal service is provided with the exception of House Dinner each Wednesday, which includes pre-dinner drinks and a three-course sit down dinner with table wines. House Dinner is included in the room tariff with no additional cost incurred for attending.



The weekly tariff includes all water, electricity and heating.


All rooms have direct dial telephones with voice mail. All internal University and Hall calls are at no charge while local, STD and international calls are charged monthly.


Each accommodation room has a data-port linking directly to the university IT environment for students wishing to bring their own computer.




The House is within walking distance of the Faculties, Research Schools, Centres, libraries, sporting and other ANU facilities. It is also within walking distance of the city centre. Buses depart from outside Graduate House to all major Town Centres in Canberra. Bicycle racks are located close to each residential wing.


A Common Room is located in each residential wing and is for the use of all residents. There is an audio-visual system consisting of a stereo TV (with Foxtel) and a video player in each Common Room. The Library is located in the centre of the Administration Wing of the House and has newspapers, magazines and books as well as a free access computer with internet and email. The Business Centre has three free access computers with internet, email and all the usual office applications. There is also a network laser printer and photocopier for use at no charge. The Business centre is available for use by student residents and House Members only. The Molly Huxley Room is a building adjoining University House that has a pool table and table tennis table for use of University House residents only. Local groups and Graduate House residents also use the room on a regular basis for dance lessons.


Each student wing has commercial coin operated washing and drying machines as well as ironing boards and irons for resident use.


Building 1, Balmain Crescent

Phone: +61 2 6125 5211

Email University House

University House Homepage


Car parking at University House is limited and is available by applying for a University House parking permit, at no cost, from the Rooms Division Manager. Canberra's network of bike paths and public transport is quite good, so we encourage residents to save money and not bring a car.


Residents are responsible for keeping their own room clean though every fortnight a housekeeper will vacuum all resident rooms. Vacuum cleaners are provided. Removal of rubbish is the responsibility of each resident with recycling strongly encouraged.


Smoking is prohibited in all University buildings . Designated smoking areas are located outside.


Please contact the University House to discuss your needs.

Graduate House, which has been one of the residential colleges of the University for 30 years, was joined with University House in late 2002, giving University House responsibility for more than 200 of the University's higher degree students. University House and Graduate House, along with the accommodation across Balmain Crescent for the Postgraduate Research Students Association and the University's Graduate School, forms a postgraduate precinct for the University.

General Manager, University House

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy |